228 Day | Get Ready for February 28 in South Mississippi!
Get ready for 228 Day, South Mississippi. It's an unofficial holiday that most Coast folk- Coastonians, Coastians- people from “The Coast” probably don't celebrate the way they should. OK, it's not a real holiday but since February 28 lines up with South Mississippi's area code it's a good excuse to fire up the grill, party and celebrate all things Coast.
Like driving Highway 90 during the sunset to get a daiquiri from The Press Box, standing in line at Ben’s Deli, or getting gumbo from Gollott’s Fresh Catch.
There is no "662 Day'' because June doesn't have 62 days in it. "769 Day'' can't happen, that’s mostly cell phones, right? "601 Day" could be a real thing, but we’re not sure what Central Mississippi is going to do with that. The 228 area code is a spinoff from the "OG" 601 area code, debuting in the 90s as Mississippi began to grow. The population began to boom and more people and businesses became phone owners. If you’re from or live in Coastal Mississippi, “From The Point to The Bay” it’s all two-two-eight!
Here's a list of things you can do to celebrate 228 Day and post about it using the hashtag #228day:
- Wear a Coast Shirt from I Got It MADE (you knew that was coming, right?) (https://www.igotitmade.us/collections/coast)
- Get brunch at Brick and Spoon
- Give a shout to your barber or hair stylist on social media
- Rock a t-shirt from your high school alma mater or a throwback Scuba Steve T-shirt.
- Visit the Mississippi Aquarium or The Institute for Marine Mammal Studies
- Get a beer or 12 at Chandeleur Brewing Company and fire up the grill at home
- Get some crawfish from Claw Daddy's or Taranto's
- Grab a daiquiri from The Press Box
- Order Sunday dinner from Exclusive Catering and Dining
Whatever you do, do it big for the 228!